An EML file is used to save messages on the local machine. It is supported by numerous desktop-based email clients like Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express, IncrediMail, etc. Not only for migration but, business users utilize this file to create backup of essential messages from their respective email program.
Picture This Out: Just think of a situation where an IBM Domino operator is keenly looking for a solution to save IBM Notes as EML.
“A Lotus Notes administrator is having crucial emails on his local machine. He decides to save them separately on his system and chooses EML format for exporting messages. There are around thousands of messages to be exported in .eml. Now want to do? Because manually, it is possible to save 10 or even 20 messages in one-by-one scenario but, 1000 – it’s really a big quantity.”
Similar to this, there are many persons in the world of IT industry who are looking for solution to export Lotus Notes email to EML messages. This article deeply focuses upon the problem of such users, offering all available workarounds to resolve the issue.
Save Lotus Notes Email as EML File: Simple Solutions
Here, you will be finding approaches to export messages to EML format, if there are countable emails.
Important Note : There does not exist any manual approach to execute bulk migration for saving lotus notes email to desktop altogether.
Method 1 : Save One IBM Notes Email in EML At A Time
- Launch IBM Notes on your system and open an email message to be saved in EML format.
- Go to File and choose Save As option from listed menu
- Navigate towards the location where you want to save file, give desired name to it, and hit on Save
Finally, you have exported an IBM Notes mail to EML extension.
Note : This method will be saving files in one by one scenario. It means that this strategy can be used only when few amount of emails are to be saved as .eml.
Method 2 : Drag and Drop Method to Export IBM Message
- Open the Home page of Lotus Notes email client
- Click on File button and choose Preferences from flashed list
- A Preferences wizard will appear in front of you. Click on Basic Notes Client Configuration option
- At bottom of the wizard, you will find a section named as Additional options. Here multiple setting options are displayed where you have to select Drag and drop save as eml file option
- At last click on OK to update all changes in the program
After finishing up with these steps, you just need to drag and drop messages on desktop from the IBM Domino program. Automatically, all emails will get saved in .eml format.
Drawbacks : Every coin is having its two side : positive and negative. Same is the condition with manual strategies that you have learned till now. There are following demerits faced while execution of these methods:
- Bulk Migration Not Supported: It is possible to save Lotus Notes email as eml file in one-by-one manner. Bulk migration cannot be performed with these solutions.
- Incompatible With Old Versions: The methods are only applicable for IBM Notes 8.5 and later versions.
- Leads to NSF File Corruption: There are high chances of NSF file corruption, if the procedure gets interrupted in between due to power cut or any other technical issue.
Final Thoughts With A Suggestion
Users can use either save file as EML option or drag-and-drop method to export Lotus Notes email to EML messages. These method will surely work if there is one message to be saved in EML and the person is having IBM Notes 8.5 or above edition. In case of bulk migration or older IBM version, the only left approach is to go for third-party tools. One such utility is NSF to EML Converter, overcoming all drawbacks faced in manual solutions. The software supports bulk migration saving all NSF emails to EML at once. It save Lotus Notes email as EML file of all available IBM versions i.e., 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, and all above.